Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Wedding

Wow. Over a handful of tissues, I've finished the novel The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks. Again, wow. The book is finished, the story has ended, and yet I still find myself crying. Not because the story was tragic, but because the story really tugged at my romantic heart.

The story is about a couple, who after 29 years of marriage are slowly drifting apart. It started with the realization of Wilson that despite his tremendous love for his wife, their marriage seems to be going downhill. He then decides that he would not let his marriage fall apart, as he knows that he is really blessed to have Jane as his wife and that he does not want to live without her. The story spans for one year, from the night Wilson forgot their 29th anniversary to the night he finally made up for all the things he was not able to give his wife. They change from a couple who is on the brink of breaking up, to a couple madly in love with each other once again.

I have always been a fan of romantic stories, and surely, an older couple who remains in love with each other after many many years would pass my standards. My heart melts whenever I see grandmas and grandpas (not necessarily real old) still holding hands, still connecting with each other through looks, words or touches. It makes me ponder how we will be in the future. Will we still be holding hands years from now? Will we be as blessed as they are? Is our love as enduring as theirs is?

With these questions in mind, I think about what we have now. Do we constantly strive to show how much we love each other?Do we constantly seek to connect through looks, words and touches? When people see us, do they see a young couple deeply in love? The answer I'm afraid is not as rosy as I would want it to be. I have to admit that there are days that we are unable to express our love, times when we fail to connect, and moments when we are just a married couple.

I still have high hopes though. For despite instances when I see that our relationship is not perfect, I am still convinced that our love would endure. I know that I am truly blessed to have you, and I know that as the years pass by, yours is still the hand I want to hold.

So maybe I should stop worrying about the future. I should just work on today, on what we have now. Instead of thinking if we will still be holding hands in the future, I will hold your hand now. I will never let a day pass without letting you feel how much I love you. I will constantly connect with you, so that even in difficulties you would know I am still with you. I will do this day after day, month after month and year after year. And most probably, before we even know it, we would already be old.. and still holding hands.

1 comment:

yyelow_lemon said...

ganda nga i read it too!!! loved it